My Nana was a wonderful cook. She loved fussing over everyone with food.
My Nana, knew that Roast Chicken was my favourite and she made it when I came to visit for dinner. I remember on one ocassion when I visited, Nana said proudly ” I have made roast chicken”. I didn’t tell her that the previous 3 nights I had eaten chicken, and I was sick of it! It always tasted delicious, especially with her beautifully made gravy.
Nana’s sons, Roger and John, especially loved her cooking. Most of Nana’s cooking was from her head, but I do remember Nana using her big red book of recipes. The big red book contained her favourite recipes, all hand written. My grandmother passsed away nine years ago, and unfortunately the Big Red Book of Recipes has been mislaid.
One of my “little” projects is to recreate some of the recipes that my Nana made. To get the ball rolling I am recreating a chicken salad that My Uncle Roger loved. I have based it on a very loose recipe that my mother had written down, as told by Nana. The quantities of vegetables used can be adapted to suit your own tastes. Have fun!
This is great to create for a summer’s lunch using leftover “Roast Chicken”. The flavours develop if left in the fridge overnight.
NANA’S CHICKEN SALAD
2 cups of cooked chicken, chopped
1/2 cup of mayonnaise
1 tsp curry powder
1 spring onion
1 stick of celery
5 button mushrooms
lettuce leaves to serve
- Combine your favourite mayonnaise with the curry powder, and mix well. I use Best Foods Real Mayonnaise, and add 1 tbsp of yoghurt to lighten it up!
- Add the chopped chicken to the mayonnaise mixture and combine
- Chop the spring onion and celery and finely sliced mushrooms
- Add the chopped vegetables to the chicken mayonnaise and combine well.
- Chill in fridge until required and serve on crisp lettuce leaves.
- Garnish with spring onions
- The salad goes well with spinach and avocado, for a yummy lunch
Leave a Reply