EASY MIDWEEK CURRY
I am currently working over 30 hours per week. It feels like I’m working full time again, and at the age of 60, my energy levels are being tested. This wasn’t part of my plan, but I’m enjoying the challenge and change of it all. Of course this has had an impact on the productivity in Tracey’s Kitchen 😁 I have had to rethink our week night meals, and actually be more organised in my menu planning.
I find cooking relaxing and it’s the perfect antidote to a hectic day’s work. Prepping the veges and then combining ingredients to watch a dish all come together is great meditation and all absorbing for me. By Thursday night however I want a meal that I don’t have to think about! I just want something easy and tasty and on the table in less than 30 minutes. That’s where the weekly menu planning comes in, which I complete before next my food shop. On the list I make sure to include key pantry ingredients for those easy Go-To recipes.
This easy Go-To recipe is fabulous for when I want to spend little time in the kitchen. A few pantry items, some frozen vegetables and a protein element is all you need. I make the curry while the rice is cooking. I hope this becomes a Go-To recipe for you too.
Serves 3 to 4
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup Massaman curry paste
- 1 x 400 ml coconut cream
- 1 small potato, diced into 2 cm cubes
- 1 1/2 cups mixed frozen vegetables
- Protein choice
- 400g chicken tenderloins
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas
- Roasted peanuts (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot/frying pan on a medium/high heat
- Add the onion and cubed potato and cook for 4 to 5 minutes
- Add the curry paste and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant
- Add the coconut cream and mix well.
- Simmer for 5 minutes
- Add your protein choice, plus the frozen vegetables. Increase the heat to near boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for a further 5 to 10 mins. (If using chicken, make sure the chicken is well cooked)
- Serve with cooked rice or noodles.
- Scatter roasted peanuts on individual servings
- (The potato can be precooked in boiling water for 10 mins and added the same time as the frozen veges)