Warning: you may find this blog post a little cheesey!
Cheese scones are simply the best! Delicious straight from the oven, layered with butter, these humble scones are truly comforting.
Today I am in need of some comfort, as during the week I sprained one of my glute muscles. I am treating the pain with anti-inflammatories, panadol, and rest. I am also adding a touch of doing some of the things that make me happy.
Inspired by a book I recently read, and my daughters, I am continuing to follow my passion of food. The book called The Secret by Rhonda Byrne, was recommended to me by a couple of people. It’s a self-help book, and friends that know me well, know how much I love self-help!. I’m not sure if that means I love helping myself or whether it’s my inquistive nature to learn more about human behaviour.
Put simply, The Secret is about the Law of Attraction. It’s about concentrating on what you really want and visualising the end result! If you believe in yourself (and the book) you can do anything you really really want to do.
And today, it just so happened that I really wanted to make really good cheese scones! I have frequented a couple of local cafes, which make delicious cheese scones and have often thought I must make them myself one day. Today my scones hit the mark! Light, tasty and truly delicious.
I’m hoping you will try making these are they are so easy!
(Makes 9 large scones)
2 cups of standard flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
1 cup tasty cheese, grated
1 cup milk
- Heat the oven to 220 deg C. and line a baking tray with baking paper
- Rub the chopped butter into a bowl containing the sieved flour and salt.
- When mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs stir in the sieved baking powder
- Stir in half the grated cheese
- Make a welll in the middle of the dry ingredients and add the milk
- Using a knife quickly mix the dough together
- Transfer to an oven tray using floured hands
- Using a bit of extra flour pat down the mixture into a square shape
- Cut into shapes, keeping the mixture in “one piece”
- Sprinkle on the remaining cheese
- Transfer to heated oven immediately
- Cook for 12 minutes or until golden on top
To eat, serve hot with butter!